Skip to main content

Big Question: OMG I'm Stuck!!


This months Big Question is about Stuck?Getting Unstuck? Stuck, is exactly how I feel, and the reason I started blogging and connecting with people. My blog becomes a forum to get my ideas out. So there's the problem and the solution right there! But come on now, don't we all feel stuck at different points in our work or even personal life? Well, being stuck is very much a reality as anything else, and I've felt this way many times before. Each place I worked posed different kinds of challenges, but to get to the point, here we're talking about being stuck in your organization with a lot of great ideas about how to improve things around you and the service you deliver to the customer.

There are several reasons why one gets 'stuck' so to say:
  • Your organization is just very happy doing what they always have been doing as it earns them money anyway.
  • Your team members, who drive a lot of the initiatives because they've been around longer than you, just don't know what's changed in the market outside. They're fine to keep doing what they always did in the last 8 to 10 years cos the management is happy!
  • Sometimes employees see or hear whats changing but completely fail to see the value in it.
  • Sometimes employees just feel more secure doing 'proven stuff' than exploring new possibilities.
  • Some employees respect the management so much, that they will wait until the end of time for the management to initiate something new. "Why get your hands dirty in trying something the management hasn't even figured out? This is easier."
  • Some people listen very intently to the people who give new ideas and tell them, "Yeah, that sounds really cool, and right too. But you know what, this is the way they do it here. I've been around here really long and I know, nothing will change!"
  • Sometimes your team leads and managers may tell you after hearing your bright ideas—"All that's fine, but what happened to that issue we had the other day? You better figure out or we'll miss the deadline!" or simply—"Haven't you enough to do?"

The Result?
Imagine the plight of the poor bloke who just had this brainwave after reading loads of blogs, wikis and cool discussions on the Internet. Depressing really! But that's the reality, and it will probably remain this way in almost all organizations, but with varied levels of intensity. I'm sure, at least two of the above points will be true for any employee unless he's the boss and takes the decisions.

The employee, who was once really excited with his brilliant idea and imagined what value it could have brought to the organization, is demotivated, and begins to think that he or she is not going to get anywhere in the present organization. The employee starts questioning himself—what happens to my future and career? What happens to my dream? Will I stop learning if I continue to remain in this environment? Should I leave this place and try somewhere else, somewhere where people have more sense to see the value in my ideas? Or should I just surrender to the circumstances and become a drone like the rest?

The Point?
So, the implementation of all ideas on last month's Big Question, about Workplace Learning in 10 years, are immensely dependent on the organization's willingness to invest and bring in change, not forgetting that change only comes in gradually and never upfront in such cases. It takes time to provide the infrastructure to support all the changes, and most importantly the people who will help bring about the change. It requires support and acceptance from everyone involved to adapt to a new way of doing their job.

So what can you do in such a situation?
Rebel and let everyone know that what you are suggesting is the next generation thing, and that they're too stupid to see it? Disclaimer here: I think you should try that only if you want to loose the one or two people who took time to listen to you and advise you! You may loose even the smallest chance of ever getting your ideas across in the organization as people will start thinking you are an arrogant, alien-headed, snob! Now that's really not the ideal situation to be in, so here are a few things you can do.

Step 1:
First, evaluate if your idea is that of immediate action or a long term one. Based on this, set your expectations of the time it may take to get it implemented. Ask questions like "Based on the business need, will they find use of the idea? Will they need it now or later?" If your answer to these questions is yes, then go ahead and plan to give your ideas to the management.

Step2:
Whatever you do, it is most important to:
  • Say the right thing at the right time
  • Tell the right person about it

Now you may ask, when is the right time? Who is the right person? My answer is, strike when the iron is hot, meaning speak about it in a relevant situation or discussion. Plan your idea well and back it up with what benefit it brings to an individual or the organization. It is hard to decide each case above, but you have to figure this out by studying the organization and their priorities over time, or discussing them with someone who has been around longer.

My Experience
When I had an idea, I first started asking around if there is any idea management forum in the organization. When I didn't get the information, I threw the question to one of the top managers after he gave a session on the organizations goals and how he plans to achieve them. He thought for a while and realized there wasn't any such place. He then asked me what my idea was? On explaining the idea, he seemed to like it, and asked me to send him an email with the details. He responded back after researching it himself and appreciated me for bringing it up. He now wanted to start a forum thread to collate ideas from employees. I thought that was a good start.

The other part of giving ideas is the expectation we have once we have given them. But, you need to remember here that it takes high priority to implement any idea. That's how businesses work I guess!

So to conclude, I can say that you may feel 'stuck' in spite of having given your idea, but its important that you at least got it across. The fact that not much changed immediately should not deter you from thinking and innovating. Try and innovate in your regular activities to make it more interesting. Try suggesting something new, but each time remember to back it up with sufficient evidence so people understand the context and the benefit that will come out of it. Try and blog the ideas that are not directly related to your company's benefit, and share it with the community. Let's accept it, its not a fair world we all live in. It is therefore important to make the best of every situation.

Comments

  1. I am one of those developer souls who feel "very awfully stuck". I cannot implement my fresh ideas because most of the time the scenario is "fix-it-in-priority", "don't change that, its working fine for now", "nope! that will add unnecessary maintenance overhead", "dude there's already enough on your plate, why try something new" ...

    I thought about all these reasons for a while and figured out all these reasons are backed up by a list of valid fear -

    - does it really work?
    - what's the guarantee it won't mess up with the system?
    - how will the idea look practically if implemented?
    - how does the addition of new technologies impact the system?
    - how much will be the maintenance overhead?
    - Does it take the system really to next level?

    People are really scared of these parameters. What if I touch the system in the name of "my novel idea" and mess it up? What's the guarantee?

    Well at one point I really untied myself by starting to execute things in parallel -
    1) Complete the task in the way my management wants it - minimal change and fix-it-in-priority style.
    2) Implement the fix including my new idea.
    (I swear you need to spare a lot of personal time for this. If you start missing on your deadlines because of this, you are D.E.A.D)

    When I present my fix to the customers, I present the actual fix first (dude! that's what they are looking for and want, not yours definitely) and on the side note also mention about the "working model" of the fix including my new idea and its implications.

    Trust me some of them do like it when you show that your idea really "works" and doesn't "damage" the system. It works ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic post! Thanks so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @LSP-Thanks for sharing your exp. I think you did the right thing and you shouldn't give up. Keep going.
    @Tony-Thanks, that's an encouraging remark!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sreya, great stuff! I came across your blog based on your digg comment. It seems that our paths are similar. Thanks for leaving a comment and sharing. Yes, definitely keep giving those ideas. Being stuck is going to be something that everyone will experience. Some will be encouraged because of your post and your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post made me laugh because I have done the things you don't recommend doing. It's only 8:51 on Monday morning, but I now feel motivated to begin, again!! Thanks for your keen words and insight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Larry Glad that my post showed you a way of doing what you were trying to do. I wish you the very best!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Big Question: Workplace Learning in 10 Years?

This month's Big Question question is Workplace Learning in 10 years? A very pertinent question to ask in such times, as we hear of more and more failure rates in formal and push learning. Most of our generation have learned this way, and some like me have always found such learning boring from the very beginning. My parents, would force me to learn the way the other 'good' kids learned, and I would resist and prefer to stay in my own dreamworld, that I found more fascinating than my study books. Fortunately for me, every year before the final exam my mom would hound me into preparing for the exams and I would come out scoring reasonably well. Now I can owe my 'decent' job to all the 'push' I got from my parents. But given a chance, I would not like to go back to studying the way I did in school, though I owe my 'formal' degrees to the 'formal' learning I received. But I did have some pretty good teachers. My Geography teacher had a unique s

Of Android, Mobile Games and Learning Experiences

I never thought I'll write about learning games and mobile learning until I bought my Android. People have asked me, why Android phone? My answer has been that I love Android as it is breaking new ground for mobile computing and open technologies. Android is versatile as it is not limited only to mobile phones, but it can be installed on various devices. Android gives developers the opportunity to leverage their development skills, while also building an exciting and active community, just as ground breaking as Java. Just thought of adding this: "When technologies don't restrain you, they enable you to innovate." I truly believe open technologies are the future! I couldn't have written this post without experiencing the real thing. I had set aside to buy my Android (Nexus S) after some expenses were out of the way. But my 5 year old Nokia gave in and I had no other choice but to buy my Nexus immediately. I am extremely happy. Having the power of a smartphone ,

The New Age Instructional Designer

Instructional design provides a gamut of principles and models that enable you to train people effectively in various areas of expertise. The role of an instructional designer is essentially driven by a need to find appropriate solutions by applying instructional design strategies and models to transfer information to users who use a particular product or service to perform their jobs. Changed Learning Methods As time progressed and technologies evolved, the role of the instructional designer as we understood it several years back, underwent a paradigm shift. In spite of client demands to create conventional elearning courses, the fact is that the way people are learning today has changed phenomenally due to the increased access to social media tools and advanced mobile devices. Twitter, blogs, wikis, and discussions have become the new age learning methods. Learner's look for relevance and access information only when it is needed. The concept of reading everything that co