Skip to main content

Social Learning?

Social learning is known by many names - social learning, collaborative learning or informal learning. For many years we considered formal training to be the only way to make people learn. Formal training required people to be present all at one location. As technologies evolved, people could remotely hear and speak to a teacher in a classroom from any location. But these options were still quite expensive. Then elearning came by and we had people making loads of self-paced courses. Somehow even this seemed insufficient after some time and people started exploring blended-learning strategies. There was a need to provide more support and information to people on-the-job. As people kept looking for new ways of teaching and learning they realized that that learning happens in other ways too. You learn when you speak to like-minded people and people sharing similar interests and professions.

During this time social networking tools came by and people found new ways of connecting with each other. Meeting and connecting with people was made so easy! Then Wikipedia emerged, discussion groups and forums were largely being used to share information and resolve on-the-job problems. Google became the largest learning resource due to its super-fast search capabilities. It was observed that when people were desperately searching for solutions and more information on subjects, they proactively searched the Internet and found all relevant resources and learned more about their subject of interest and also resolved problems with the knowledge gained.

Social networking tools gave people opportunities to connect with people sharing similar interests and professions. Groups of people sharing common interests or a profession irrespective of their geographical location are termed as communities. Now, it was possible to discuss and share knowledge and learn a lot more from the other person's experiences. This process of proactively searching for information and shaping it into a form that makes sense for a situation is termed as informal learning or personal knowledge management (PKM).

So, the best ways today of learning beyond what you receive from formal training is to reach out to others and learn from their experiences to solve real-world day-to-day problems. Experienced professionals today don't need spoon-feeding but quick solutions to problems. They are self-directed learners and are motivated to define their own learning paths and manage their learning resources using social bookmarking tools and advanced search engines.

We can leverage on social networking tools to drive social learning in our organizations. Using social learning will help people grow in their domain knowledge, problem-solving abilities and make the process of communication much faster. People will be able to create best practices, learn from sharing experiences and not waste time trying to reinvent the wheel. Eventually, it will help improve their productivity at work. The goals social learning tries to achieve are:

  • Connect people who share a common interest and provide a platform to share ideas and experiences.
  • Serve as a knowledge base for searching solutions to problems that people have already faced.
  • Sharing knowledge about specific domains among a large groups who are distributed in geographically different locations.
  • Give learners the flexibility to learn in their own means, define their own learning path and choose resources that will help them learn more.
  • Keep learners constantly motivated as they share and exchange information and get recognized for their knowledge and contribution to the community.
It is also important to know that it takes a while to adopt and change your working style and use social learning as part of your regular job. Also, understanding the mental process of learning in case of social learning is an interesting study and the article on when we should collaborate on the Anecdote site is really an interesting read. Following this you may have more questions on implementing collaborative learning in organizations and measuring the benefits of social learning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big Question: Workplace Learning in 10 Years?

This month's Big Question question is Workplace Learning in 10 years? A very pertinent question to ask in such times, as we hear of more and more failure rates in formal and push learning. Most of our generation have learned this way, and some like me have always found such learning boring from the very beginning. My parents, would force me to learn the way the other 'good' kids learned, and I would resist and prefer to stay in my own dreamworld, that I found more fascinating than my study books. Fortunately for me, every year before the final exam my mom would hound me into preparing for the exams and I would come out scoring reasonably well. Now I can owe my 'decent' job to all the 'push' I got from my parents. But given a chance, I would not like to go back to studying the way I did in school, though I owe my 'formal' degrees to the 'formal' learning I received. But I did have some pretty good teachers. My Geography teacher had a unique s

Of Android, Mobile Games and Learning Experiences

I never thought I'll write about learning games and mobile learning until I bought my Android. People have asked me, why Android phone? My answer has been that I love Android as it is breaking new ground for mobile computing and open technologies. Android is versatile as it is not limited only to mobile phones, but it can be installed on various devices. Android gives developers the opportunity to leverage their development skills, while also building an exciting and active community, just as ground breaking as Java. Just thought of adding this: "When technologies don't restrain you, they enable you to innovate." I truly believe open technologies are the future! I couldn't have written this post without experiencing the real thing. I had set aside to buy my Android (Nexus S) after some expenses were out of the way. But my 5 year old Nokia gave in and I had no other choice but to buy my Nexus immediately. I am extremely happy. Having the power of a smartphone ,

The New Age Instructional Designer

Instructional design provides a gamut of principles and models that enable you to train people effectively in various areas of expertise. The role of an instructional designer is essentially driven by a need to find appropriate solutions by applying instructional design strategies and models to transfer information to users who use a particular product or service to perform their jobs. Changed Learning Methods As time progressed and technologies evolved, the role of the instructional designer as we understood it several years back, underwent a paradigm shift. In spite of client demands to create conventional elearning courses, the fact is that the way people are learning today has changed phenomenally due to the increased access to social media tools and advanced mobile devices. Twitter, blogs, wikis, and discussions have become the new age learning methods. Learner's look for relevance and access information only when it is needed. The concept of reading everything that co