Skip to main content

Social Learning Adoption Success: First Steps?

I'm quite thrilled to let all of you know that my effort to push social workplace learning in my team has been recognized. Post my queries posted in my blog post Social Learning Adoption, I have been slowly evangelizing social media tools and social learning to management at every opportunity I've had. It has been a great recognition for me the last week, when the manager of our team from the US, acknowledged my efforts and my knowledge in the domain, and included the use of social-networking to benefit our global team in my goals for the next year. I know this is a tough job, given the challenges I listed in my post, but never-the-less its an encouragement that motivates me to work at it in an organized manner. I believe I owe my knowledge and confidence to the community who willing contribute and encourage me. Getting listed in the elearninglearning site was very encouraging too and I thank Tony for it.

I'd like to use this post to also answer a question one of my co-bloggers Sahana raised on her blog, do people need training on how to learn? Her post suggests that when she urged one of her colleagues to use twitter, he came back to her asking her to create training on how to use it. I think and agree that the process of using social learning tools like twitter does have a learning curve for everyone. How fast one can pickup the tools and use them to their benefit depends on their 'tech savvyness' and their familiarity with Web 2.0 tools as such. But what I also want to emphasize, is that it doesn't make sense to talk of formal training on the use of such tools for the following reasons:
  • These tools are quite intuitive, and if one wants to use them, they should just go out and read relevant resources and get started.
  • You cannot show the 'value' these tools bring unless you go out, use them and participate actively. You cannot expect to sit back and just have information 'come' to you from others. So it requires 'active' users to 'proactively' go out and look for information and figure out how to use these tools to your benefit. So 'pull' learning always works with these tools, as these tools are designed to promote 'pull' learning.
  • Once a user figures out the tools, they need to be persistent and be able to identify their own learning patterns, interest areas, what works for them and what doesn't. So it does require mature self-directed learners. The tools promote what Web 3.0 is trying to achieve with personalization of information and limiting it to what users find useful to them. So it does call for self-directed learners.
In spite of these facts, what I'm saying here is that it doesn't mean that all learners need to be self-directed and well-versed in the tools from day one, but they do need to be self-motivated and persistent. What we, who are savvy with the use of such tools can do, is to provide people tips and tricks that we figured out, guidelines on getting started and most importantly urge them to go out and look for information, participate and contribute their experiences. Then they will just figure out for themselves! The only way they are ever going to see value, is by being part of this virtual community and figuring out what they're interested in. A good analogy is a seeker of information, going to a book store with no specific book in mind, exploring the available options and finding a subject of their interest. After this the user may buys the book. He will then read it after which he may like it or not like it. If he does like it, he recommends it to others or he may go out and write a book review highlighting whats good and whats not. That's how social learning works as well, except that the whole process takes place in a virtual community and you won't be spending money on that book!

Trying to get to the background of the mental pattern a user goes through while using social media for learning is well explained by the Cynefin Framework. There's also this video I found useful:



So it is important for us who recommend social media to others, to understand the patterns that a new user will usually go through and help them work through those. The best way is to recommend reading the online resources available. A more theoretical insight into understanding the learning pattern is the double-loop learning concept.

To solve the problem in question, I would recommend reading specific online resources to the user:
I will also recommend telling them about successful collaboration initiatives like Trek Earth and reading stories or case studies of social learning implementation. Looks like I have a plan already!

Comments

  1. I think motivation is the key.

    Social learning is successful only when people are motivated, want to learn on their own and above all want to collaborate and learn.

    When it comes to tools, there is a learning curve. But then anyone can learn to use any tool. My mother who is 50+ learnt how to blog and she does blog easily today. This was possible only because of her enthusiasm and willingness to learn.

    I personally think getting people to collaborate effectively is a huge challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea of social workplace learning does sound interesting. And once its benefits are fully established and users are convinced of it, then learning tools like twitter may not require user guides and so on.

    The idea is again one of the basic tenets (the primary one being about making information available) the internet was based upon and its ability to connect people with similar interests who are geographically separated.

    But best of luck with your new goal. This does sound very innovative and can potentially improve a lot of things, if taken to with the right spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am curious to understand what Cynefin Framework, social collaboration, and eLearning have in common? Cynefin talks about five domains: simple, complicated, complex, chaotic, and disorder. You wrote that users go through these five stages during collaborative learning which helps us understanding how collaborative learning works. However, I feel it is important to establish why we need collaborative learning as opposed to class room sessions or on-the-job trainings.

    Having said that, I think collaborative learning is an interesting concept left to the thinking world (writers like us) to unravel and propagate. Nice write up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Big Question: Workplace Learning in 10 Years?

This month's Big Question question is Workplace Learning in 10 years? A very pertinent question to ask in such times, as we hear of more and more failure rates in formal and push learning. Most of our generation have learned this way, and some like me have always found such learning boring from the very beginning. My parents, would force me to learn the way the other 'good' kids learned, and I would resist and prefer to stay in my own dreamworld, that I found more fascinating than my study books. Fortunately for me, every year before the final exam my mom would hound me into preparing for the exams and I would come out scoring reasonably well. Now I can owe my 'decent' job to all the 'push' I got from my parents. But given a chance, I would not like to go back to studying the way I did in school, though I owe my 'formal' degrees to the 'formal' learning I received. But I did have some pretty good teachers. My Geography teacher had a unique s

Of Android, Mobile Games and Learning Experiences

I never thought I'll write about learning games and mobile learning until I bought my Android. People have asked me, why Android phone? My answer has been that I love Android as it is breaking new ground for mobile computing and open technologies. Android is versatile as it is not limited only to mobile phones, but it can be installed on various devices. Android gives developers the opportunity to leverage their development skills, while also building an exciting and active community, just as ground breaking as Java. Just thought of adding this: "When technologies don't restrain you, they enable you to innovate." I truly believe open technologies are the future! I couldn't have written this post without experiencing the real thing. I had set aside to buy my Android (Nexus S) after some expenses were out of the way. But my 5 year old Nokia gave in and I had no other choice but to buy my Nexus immediately. I am extremely happy. Having the power of a smartphone ,

The New Age Instructional Designer

Instructional design provides a gamut of principles and models that enable you to train people effectively in various areas of expertise. The role of an instructional designer is essentially driven by a need to find appropriate solutions by applying instructional design strategies and models to transfer information to users who use a particular product or service to perform their jobs. Changed Learning Methods As time progressed and technologies evolved, the role of the instructional designer as we understood it several years back, underwent a paradigm shift. In spite of client demands to create conventional elearning courses, the fact is that the way people are learning today has changed phenomenally due to the increased access to social media tools and advanced mobile devices. Twitter, blogs, wikis, and discussions have become the new age learning methods. Learner's look for relevance and access information only when it is needed. The concept of reading everything that co