Skip to main content

Meaningful Data on Customer Success

I've always wondered how instructional designers appear to work in silos while building training and cranking out several hours of courses. With the advent of xAPI and data science, we could consider a possibility of linking training 'outcomes' to customer success.

New Implementation Case Study

Let's take the case of a new product release or a new implementation for a large company like Oracle or Salesforce. The partners and consultants undergo training to either use the product in their day-to-day tasks, or to implement it for a customer. A 5-day training is organized and successfully completed. Now the consultants are ready to head back and actually implement the application.

After this point, I've never had visibility into 'data' about the outcomes of the training. I've never known whether they were actually able to use the specific knowledge to successfully use an application including their ability to troubleshoot issues and design one-off customizations. I recently read a few posts on LinkedIn that questioned if xAPI could take a step further and track more information about what users are doing in the application and map it to learning outcomes. This gave me a few ideas...
  1. Can we gather meaningful data on the entire lifecycle of a project starting from 'training'?
  2. Can we then track if it resulted in changed behavior and successful use of the products and effective troubleshooting?
  3. Did it reduce the number of support tickets that cost the company money?
  4. Did it progress the learner to the next level of maturity in their product knowledge?
If we could design a program to first collect all this data and then present it to a PMO, then could we incrementally focus and redesign training to achieve more specific outcomes, thereby reducing trial and error linked with too many unnecessary support tickets? I think this would be a wonderful alternative to a lot of incomplete metrics that only grill product teams excluding the 'training' and the expected outcomes. This could also make training an integral part of the lifecycle to address and enhance customer experience and satisfaction.

Considerations for Metrics on Customer Success

Training is not the only factor that impacts customer success. It is key for metrics to also include other parameters such as, why was an implementation delayed or unsuccessful? There could be other possible reasons which can be included into the metrics:
  • Unavailability of or issues with the application environment, or existing bugs.
  • Implementor not following the instructions or best practices suggested in training.
  • Confusing design of the application where users repeatedly make mistakes.
  • Prerequisite setups impacting the current tasks were incorrect.
Good metrics depends on complete and good data. They have to be assembled meaningfully to measure business value of the outcomes by clearly identifying the root causes of any issues, and providing opportunity for continual improvement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big Question: Workplace Learning in 10 Years?

This month's Big Question question is Workplace Learning in 10 years? A very pertinent question to ask in such times, as we hear of more and more failure rates in formal and push learning. Most of our generation have learned this way, and some like me have always found such learning boring from the very beginning. My parents, would force me to learn the way the other 'good' kids learned, and I would resist and prefer to stay in my own dreamworld, that I found more fascinating than my study books. Fortunately for me, every year before the final exam my mom would hound me into preparing for the exams and I would come out scoring reasonably well. Now I can owe my 'decent' job to all the 'push' I got from my parents. But given a chance, I would not like to go back to studying the way I did in school, though I owe my 'formal' degrees to the 'formal' learning I received. But I did have some pretty good teachers. My Geography teacher had a unique s

Of Android, Mobile Games and Learning Experiences

I never thought I'll write about learning games and mobile learning until I bought my Android. People have asked me, why Android phone? My answer has been that I love Android as it is breaking new ground for mobile computing and open technologies. Android is versatile as it is not limited only to mobile phones, but it can be installed on various devices. Android gives developers the opportunity to leverage their development skills, while also building an exciting and active community, just as ground breaking as Java. Just thought of adding this: "When technologies don't restrain you, they enable you to innovate." I truly believe open technologies are the future! I couldn't have written this post without experiencing the real thing. I had set aside to buy my Android (Nexus S) after some expenses were out of the way. But my 5 year old Nokia gave in and I had no other choice but to buy my Nexus immediately. I am extremely happy. Having the power of a smartphone ,

The New Age Instructional Designer

Instructional design provides a gamut of principles and models that enable you to train people effectively in various areas of expertise. The role of an instructional designer is essentially driven by a need to find appropriate solutions by applying instructional design strategies and models to transfer information to users who use a particular product or service to perform their jobs. Changed Learning Methods As time progressed and technologies evolved, the role of the instructional designer as we understood it several years back, underwent a paradigm shift. In spite of client demands to create conventional elearning courses, the fact is that the way people are learning today has changed phenomenally due to the increased access to social media tools and advanced mobile devices. Twitter, blogs, wikis, and discussions have become the new age learning methods. Learner's look for relevance and access information only when it is needed. The concept of reading everything that co